Monday, June 21, 2010

Applecare History 3

Well, I just got back from the apple store. Aside from looking at the iPad and the like (it was my second time using the iPad, by the way) I had a genius bar appointment. Again I was having a problem with the battery. For some reason, after 43 charge cycles the battery only held 81.6% of the full charge, quite near the 80% that apple claims should be the charge after 300 charge cycles. The person at the genius bar was pretty nice and ran the battery tests.

The battery test was quite interesting, and it offered a graph with three quadrants. Taking up the top half of the screen was the status "ok" and was green and taking bottom right 1/4 of the screen was "consumed" which was yellow, and lastly on the bottom left 1/4 of the screen was "need to be replaced" which was red. The test offered a point on the graph that showed the state of the battery, and mine was still in the green zone. However, it was nearing the "need to be replaced" quadrant, and the genius asked me whether I wanted it replaced and I said "yes." I agree that the service trip was a pleasant one, though these Sony batteries are just horrid. I only had them replaced just last june, so all in all they only lasted one year.

The genius also said that for my model of the macbook pro (early 2008) the theoretical max charge of the battery is 5500 mAh, when I previously thought that it would hold 5600 mAh. I also tracked my battery capacity for the past year using coconut battery, and I'm going to include the screenshot below.



Also, interestingly enough when the genius gave me back the receipt stating the date of repair as well as other various information, it gave the price of repair which was atypical as it usually shows 0.00 since it was covered under applecare. However, if I didn't have applecare I would have to pay $133.34 CAD for the battery replacement.

Dec 29 2008 Both fans replaced for clicking noises
Jun 09 2009 Battery replaced (couldn't charge up properly)
Oct 07 2009 Right fan looked at (made clicking noises again)
Feb 28 2010 Power adapter 85W replaced
Apr 11 2010 Logic Board Replaced
Jun 21 2010 Battery replaced (81.6% charge left)

No comments:

Post a Comment